Save yourself

It’s a common feeling; everyone’s been down in the doldrums before. Sometimes it’s not as easy as saying, “I lift mine eyes to the hills…”

But seriously, where do you turn when the bets you’d lined up are all falling like a line of books?

We made resolutions at the start. We lined up the chances and there was no way we were going to lose all of them. Even if we lost 99% of them, there was a pretty good chance that the remaining 1% was going to more than cover up for it all.

They said the young people were going to have a great new year. In fact, the good times should have started six months ago.

44 billion shillings was set aside for the youths, announced to the nation in crisp English by the new technocrat minister who was touted as untouched by scandal. The outsider lady said after this money was disbursed, everyone would be happy thereafter.

So here we are. The rumblings have started; it seems the money has gone the way of all such money that leaves the treasury in Uganda. Boohoo, cry me a river.

I have said it before and I shall say it now, we know the root of the problem. It is inherent in us to steal. The politicians are a reflection of who we are, heck, that’s why we elect them.

What does a young person who has lined up his bets, targeting that money do? I say, force fate to realign itself. It is time for creative thinking on a different scale.

It is time for civil disobedience.

We start with ourselves; we disobey the inner thug. We refuse to give the fat-belly cop on the road the 5k he’s expecting. We out the deals cut by the gatekeepers who let boys into the girls’ hostel in the wee ohurs of the morning at a fee.

We sacrifice our interests and desires for the sake of change.

Advertisements

About Steven

It wasn't me; arrest the voices. It was the voices in my head. Sike! I am Ugandan first. I care for development in my country. I am a curious observer second and I care to know what you think.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

This is my view. What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s